Sunday, July 5, 2009

by Rae Anderson

What I wish I’d said.

Granny stopped aging for me when I was around 10. I never knew Granny's hair had turned grey. Even on her last day on earth her hair was not grey to me. She had no wrinkles, only badges of honor and courage. She was never slow either mentally or physically. She was a women who possessed the power to bring the earth to me through walks, talks and food. She loved me, through her love she educated me even though I didn't realize she was teaching.
No creature cold scare her, no puzzle unsolvable, no child inconsolable. She would spend summers taming an unruly bunch, feeding, bathing and ministering to the wildest tribe. . . . her grandchildren. If not for her I wouldn’t have my own garden, a half started afghan, the courage to blaze my own trail or a penchant for apricot jam. For a girl brought up in the city granny taught me my roots.

She is stitched into my heart with all the love of a quilt made by candlelight.

I need nothing more than the basics:
LOVE
WARMTH
FAITH
All of these basics can be fostered with nothing more than:
A WOODEN HOUSE
A WOOD BURNING STOVE
WELL WATER
A GARDEN
When the basics have been met additional life’s blessings include:

Jack the dog
Tire Swings
Fire Weeds
The Swimmin’ Hole
Loft Jumping
Irrigation ditches
The Lower Sub
The Bar Hill
Bicycles
The Narrows
Canteens
Powdered Milk
Hot Chocolate
Hot Cakes
Jean Quilts
Wet socks and Underwear
Patched pants
Strawberries and
Peas
Frog Slingin’
Bingo
Permanents
Lice Treatments
Bras
Jams
Jellies
Jerky
Dried Fruit
Hammocks

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Jacks and Jumprope and grapefruit trees
the tree house
the cellar
scrounging in Granny's closet for something to wear to church on Sunday
being chased by Tipee
trying to ride d.o.g.
being sat on by Jack or watching him wolf down hotcakes
the hotwire fence
hearing about the time she taught my kids to fly June bugs while I was at Girls' camp
Easter egg hunts and all the grandkids in the hammock for a picture
crocheted snow flakes

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails