Monday, January 31, 2011

First paying job, hard worker saved from death by icecream freezer

  I hated babysitting when I was younger, hated it.  But, I LOVE being a mom.  Ironic isn't it.  Maybe because when the kids are mine - I get to make the rules.  I don't know.  But, I'm not counting babysitting as my first paying job, because, well, I hated it, and most of the time I didn't get paid, so, it doesn't count.  See, this is my blog, so, I get to make the rules. 
  Then, my sister, Jo Anna and I had a paper route together.  Laughable.  My brother, John saved enough money with his paper route to buy himself a truck, with which he thankfully drove me to school everyday.  Jo Anna and I spent our money as soon as it reached our little hands.  Mostly on candy at Circle K.  And getting up early in the morning? - not really our thing.  So, I'm not counting this as my first paying job either because you can't count it as a paying job if you don't have any money to show for it, right?  Right.
  So, that leaves Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors.  Yes, I was a professional icecream scooper.  It was a great job!  I got free icecream on every break.  See? no spending my own money at Circle K.  I was moving up in the world.  In theory the free icecream would enable us to recommend flavors to the customers, ...um, ...ok, but, I had cookies and cream or mint-chocolate chip, EVERYtime.  Something wrong with their theory, but, whose going to tell them, right?  The only bad part about this job was that I got locked in the walk-in freezer one time.  I panicked.  I had visions of freezing to death before anyone found me.  I HATE being cold.  Hate it!  This could possibly be the worst possible death for me.  Death by icecream freezer.  However, I WAS only in there for MAYBE 5 minutes.  Just enough time to work up to a good panic, but not enough time to calm down and figure out how to get out of there or signal to anyone where I was.  This was before I ever owned a mobile phone, so banging on the door was really my only option.  And since I was in panic mode I didn't think to put down the icecream barrel I was holding (the reason for being in the freezer to begin with).  I was considering a good cry, but I wasn't sure if I wanted frozen tears on my face, or dripping on the icecream.  Can frozen tears drip?  Lucky for me, I was a hard working employee and they missed me right away and came looking for me.  Whew, that was a close call. 
Life lesson: hard work = no death by icecream freezer, just sayin'.

1 comment:

Jalaire said...

Whew! I am glad someone rescued you before you got freezer burn. I'm jealous, though. We had no food at my first job. :-(

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails